I am a simple girl, even when attempting to be fancy. I love to cook, bake, and decorate, and this blog is an attempt to share this part of my life with friends, family and strangers. Being a teacher, I take advantage of my time off in the summer. I thought this summer would be a great time to fulfill my desire to start a blog. I follow many blogs, but I have never taken the plunge myself. It is time, and I hope you can take something away from my wonderfully simple life.

Monday, June 20, 2011

First Day of Summer Vacation

We got out of school on June 14th.  Our flight left for Jamaica on June 15th at 8:50 am.  We returned from our amazing vacation last night around 7:30 pm.  This makes today my first day of summer break.  I took full advantage.  I am making a pact with myself this summer.  It goes a little something like this,

"Self, I understand you enjoy sleeping the day away.  But, I also understand you awake feeling guilty and wishing you wouldn't have.  So, get up early this summer.  Take advantage of every minute.  The time will go all too fast, and soon enough you will be back within the confines of your classroom." 

Today I did all of our laundry from vacation, made Mexican meatloaf and oatmeal raisin cookies and will be making it to the gym with Bill after dinner.  Not bad for my first day!

I am including the recipes for both the Mexican meatloaf and the oatmeal raisin cookies.

Mexican Meatloaf
Ingredients:
2 eggs slightly beaten
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup diced red onions
1 - 7.75 oz can Mexican tomato sauce (I use El Pato)
1 - 4.25 oz can chopped black olives
1 - 4 oz can diced green chilies
1 1/2 to 2 lbs ground beef
1 cup quick oats oatmeal
dash of salt and pepper
1/2 cup salsa (I use Trader Joe's Pineapple Salsa YUMMY)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (pepper jack would be excellent also.  i didn't have any.)

Directions:
in a small bowl combine eggs, Worcestershire sauce, onions, tomato sauce, black olives and green chilies.

in a large bowl combine hamburger, oatmeal, salt and pepper. (I always use my hands.  It works the best)

add liquid mixture to meat mixture and combine.

pat into a 8x8 baking pan and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

take out of oven and drain off excess liquid.  add a layer of salsa and cheddar cheese to the top and return to oven for 15 mintues.






Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick or 4 ounces) butter, softened
2/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup raisins

Directions:
in a large bowl (i use my kitchen aid mixer) cream together the butter, brown sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth.

in a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. stir this into the butter/sugar mixture. stir in the oats, raisins.

it is best to now chill the dough.  i always hate this part, but it really does help the cookies set up.  i chilled for about 30 minutes.


bake on parchment paper for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.  watch for the outsides to get a tad bit brown, but the inside still looks gooey. 

let sit on pan for 5-8 minutes after taking out of oven.

transfer to cooling rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment